Watch: AR600 Body Armor Plate Test
Kevin Felts 08.02.17
How well does the Steel Ops AR600 body armor stop bullets? Ak Operators Union, Local 47-74 on YouTube decided to find out.
The armor was tested with:
- 9mm 115 grain
- 5.56mm xm193, 55 grain
- 5.56mm m855, 62 grain
- 7.62×39, 123 grain
- 270 Winchester, 130 grain
- 308 Winchester, 147 grain
From the Steel Ops website for the XP Pro plate:
- 10″ x 12″ XP Pro Plate, FULL Ballistic Coating, 5mm AEGIS AR-600 Steel Panel, Finished thickness of ~7/16″
- Weight: 6.2 lbs raw, 7lbs with coating
- Rating: Level III+ (exceeds NIJ Level III and comes with NIJ Level III Certification)
- Coating Specs: New “GT Advanced Ballistic Coating” – Strikeface ~200 mils, Backside ~45 mils
Now for the video.
7.62x54R, 270 Winchester and 308 Winchester made the plate bulge, but did not penetrate.
To be perfectly honest, the plate stood up better than what I though it would. The plate was hit eight times, starting to come apart, and was still stopping bullets.
When it came to plates and plate carriers, I was on the fence. Watching the video helped make up my mind. I was overly impressed with the protection it provides.
Special thank you to the Ak Operators Union, Local 47-74, keep up the great videos.