CMP Announces Procedures for Distribution of 1911 Pistols
Rob Reed 12.04.17
The 2018 National Defense Authorization Act authorizes the CMP to receive and sell between 8,000 and 10,000 1911 pistols a year, for two years, under a pilot program that will be reviewed to ensure the CMP follows all applicable laws and that the transfer of pistols to the CMP does not become a financial burden to the army.
The CMP has yet to determine the exact retail cost of the pistols but earlier estimated that prices would start at around $1,000 per pistol. This latest announcement gives the first solid details on how the program will work.
The following message was posted on the CMP’s Facebook page and sent by e-mail to CMP newsletter subscribers shortly before 8 P.M. EST.
To all CMP constituents:
The CMP Board of Directors has discussed at length how the sales of 1911s would be handled, if the CMP were to ever receive them from the United States Army.
Some preliminary decisions:
1. Decisions concerning the grade and pricing of the 1911s will not be made until inspection has occurred of a substantial quantity which will take an estimated 150 days post receipt.
2. All laws pertaining to the sale of 1911s by CMP will be strictly obeyed.
3. Potential purchasers will have to provide to CMP a new set of documents exhibiting: 1) proof of U.S. Citizenship, 2) proof of membership in a CMP affiliated club, 3) proof of participation in a marksmanship activity, 4) a new form 2A with notary, 5) successful completion of a NICS background check, 6) a signed copy of the 01 Federal Firearms License in which the 1911 will be transferred to.
4. The CMP customer will be required to complete a form 4473 in person and successfully complete another NICS check by the recipient FFL holder before the pistol can be transferred.
5. Qualified CMP customer will only be allowed to purchase one 1911 per calendar year.
6. No 1911s available in the CMP stores, or on line, only mail order sales.
7. CMP will set the date in which it will accept orders for the 1911s. The date will be posted to the world.
8. Orders will only be accepted via mail order delivery.
9. Orders will only be accepted post marked on the date or after, no early orders.
10. Once CMP receives 10,000 orders, customer names will be loaded into the Random Number Generator.
11. The Random Number Generator will provide a list of names in sequence order through a random picking process to CMP.
12. Customers will be contacted in the sequence provided by the Random Number Generator.
13. When the customer is contacted a list of 1911 grades and pricing options that are available will be offered for selection of one.
14. As CMP proceeds down the sequenced list less grade and pricing options will be available. Again, this done completely random.
Chief Operating Officer
Civilian Marksmanship Program