Florida Needs More ‘Python Removal Agents’
Russ Chastain 09.27.19
In June of last year I told readers about Everglades National Park’s decision to pay people to enter the park and kill the invasive, non-native pythons which have been devastating the natural order in the ‘glades.
Now the South Florida Water Management District wants to hire 25-35 “Python Removal Agents” on hourly wages to hunt and kill pythons. Here’s the scoop according to their website.
What’s the pay?
- Minimum wage is paid for up to 10 hours per day
- Actual search time must be verified via a GPS tracking app
- $50 bonus paid for every snake 4 feet or longer
- $25 bonus per foot for each foot longer than 4 feet
- Example: An 8-foot python = $150 on top of hourly wage
- $200 bonus for each python killed guarding a nest of eggs
Snake killers must:
- Be at least eighteen (18) years of age
- Possess a valid driver’s license
- Possess a valid email address
- Have access to an iOS or Android mobile device that allows for download and utilization of the required GPS tracking app
- Consent to be tracked using the GPS tracking app
- Sign a waiver of liability
- Have not been convicted of a felony or wildlife-related offense within the last five (5) years
- Consent to submit to a criminal background check
- Consent to using an electronic data collection app
- Must have a bank account and agree to receive all payments by direct deposit
These snake-slayers “will have independent access to designated SFWMD properties over the greater portion of Miami-Dade, Broward, Collier and Palm Beach counties” to do their hunting.