NEW Ruger AR-556 MPR w/ Proof Research Carbon Fiber Wrapped Barrel
Adam Scepaniak 12.26.22
If you look around the firearms industry there is a growing trend of bolt-action and semi-auto rifles deploying carbon fiber wrapped barrels. The benefits are many with there being less weight, improved accuracy, and even better curb appeal. Now, Ruger and Proof Research have collaborated to possibly produce Ruger’s most accurate AR-15 with an AR-556 MPR boasting a carbon fiber wrapped barrel. So, if you are a fan of Proof Research’s barrels, now you can get a factory Ruger package with one in it.
Ruger Coverage on AllOutdoor
- The Fire Rises! NEW 7mm PRC Ruger American with Go Wild Camo
- Ruger’s New Lite Rack Security-380 Semi-Auto Pistol
- NEW Ruger SFAR 308 Win – Small-Frame Autoloading Rifle
- Ruger Announces the Return of the Marlin 1895 Trapper
The Ruger AR-556 MPR (Multi-Purpose Rifle) is meant to be an AR-15 that blends the best qualities of a semi-auto rifle as well as the coveted accuracy found in many bolt-action rifles. To further that quest for accuracy, Ruger has now joined forces with Proof Research by utilizing one of their premium Carbon Fiber Wrapped barrels. The complete specifications for this new offering of an AR-556 MPR can be read below as presented by Ruger:
- Stock: Magpul® PRS Lite®
- Handguard: Free-Float With Magpul® M-LOK® Slots
- Barrel: 18″ with 1/2″ x 28 TPI Muzzle & 1:8″ Twist
- Capacity: 30
- Finish: Gray Cerakote®
- Weight: 7.4 Lb
- Overall Length: 37.63″ – 39″
- Length of Pull: 13.88″ – 15.25″
- MSRP: $2049
- Features an 18″ PROOF® Research carbon fiber wrapped barrel that is both attractive and significantly lighter than standard barrels, while still offering excellent accuracy and repeatability.
- Features a rifle-length gas system paired with chambering in .223 Wylde, a well-established chamber geometry that safely, accurately, and reliably functions with both 5.56 NATO and .223 Remington ammunition.
- Lower receiver is fitted with Magpul® PRS Lite® stock that balances the rifle and has secure length of pull and comb height adjustments for the best fit. Magpul MOE-K2® grip provides ergonomic access to trigger and safety controls.
- Handguard is free-floated for accuracy and the slim, 15″ length provides enhanced ergonomics.
- Bolt is mil-spec 9310 and is machined, shot peened and proof tested for strength and durability.
- The Ruger® Elite 452® AR-Trigger is a two-stage trigger that offers a smooth, crisp, 4.5 pound trigger pull. It features a full-strength hammer spring for consistent primer ignition and a lightweight hammer that enables a faster lock time for improved accuracy.
- Magpul® M-LOK® accessory attachment slots along the 3:00, 6:00 and 9:00 positions with additional slots on the angled faces near the muzzle.
- Ruger® muzzle brake is a radial port design that significantly reduces felt recoil and muzzle movement. The threaded barrel allows for standard muzzle accessories to be installed.
- Made from aerospace-grade 7075-T6 aluminum forging, the flat top upper receiver includes a forward assist, dust cover and brass deflector.
- Bolt carrier and gas key have chrome-plated inside diameters to provide exceptional resistance to hot gases. The gas key is staked so that it will not loosen after extensive firing.
- Also includes: one, 30-round Magpul PMAG® magazine.
Christmas might already be in the rearview mirror, but for anyone who is wanting a better than off-the-shelf AR-15, this would be a terrific rifle considering the quality trigger that Ruger uses, their proprietary muzzle brake, and of course, the Proof Research Carbon Fiber wrapped barrel they chose to use as well. As always, let us know all of your thoughts in the Comments below! We always appreciate your feedback.